Mundine said to reporters on Monday that he is trying to “better Australia” and “educate people” by rejecting the nation’s song – to be sung by indigenous performer Jessica Mauboy pre-bout.But Green says he won’t following Choc’s lead and is adamant he doesn’t have enough “emotional investment” in Mundine to be affected by anything he says.”I’ll be standing and singing the anthem,” Green said.”If he wants to sit down that’s up to him.”I don’t have enough of an emotional investment in Anthony Mundine to be affected by anything he says.”Choc’s an Indigenous man and if he feels so passionately and strongly about the issue then that’s his prerogative, that’s his choice.”The second bout between the two is expected to attract a crowd of more than 25,000 and is likely to shatter Australian pay-per-view records.
This year’s Mashramani celebrations in the Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) community of Linden was deemed a success by many who were fortunate enough to be part of the lively spectacle.Hundreds lined the streets on Sunday to get a glimpse of the numerous costumes on display by revellers, as the community hosted its leg of the Mashramani celebrations.Revellers took to the streets to display their colourful costumesWhile the annual event originated in Linden, it is observed in the community a week after the grand celebrations in Georgetown. Several flamboyant floats were on display for all to see, which were ably supported by revellers. The participants and party trucks made their way from the Mackenzie shore, across the Mackenzie-Wismar Bridge and on to the Bayroc Community Centre Ground, where the costume parade culminated in a grand party.One of the party trucks along the costume parade route in Linden on SundayAccess and Stag party trucks kept the revellers entertained as they made their way along the route in the sunny atmosphere. Several spectators told this publication that this year’s event was “better than last year” with regard to participation. Standing out and actively participating this year was the Linden Mayor and Town Council (LM&TC). As customary, the Regional Democratic Council (RDC) was also represented in the costume display. At sundown, the curtains came down on the float parade at the Bayroc Community Centre Ground; however, this signalled the start of the evening’s festivities.
By Doug Ferguson THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Finally, some good news for Michelle Wie. Barring a bad drop that gets her disqualified, or a recurring wrist injury that causes her to withdraw, she is guaranteed her largest paycheck this season. That’s only because the Samsung World Championship doesn’t have a cut, and last-place money of $12,499 is more than her total earnings on the golf course all year. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityBut that’s beside the point. The focus has shifted from whether Wie will break par to whether the 18-year-old from Hawaii should even be in the 20-player field gathered at Bighorn Golf Club in the California desert. Wie admitted Tuesday her biggest mistake was not taking the year off to get healthy. Driving the debate is Annika Sorenstam, who this time hammered Wie more through her actions than anything she said. No one ever imagined Sorenstam, who at this time last year was still No. 1 in the world, would not be eligible for the most elite field in women’s golf. The tournament takes the defending champion, the four major champions, the leading money-winner in Europe, one special exemption and the rest from the LPGA Tour money list. Let’s take a quick inventory. Sorenstam is a five-time winner of the Samsung World Championship. She had gone six consecutive years winning at least one major. And dating to her rookie season, she had gone 12 consecutive years finishing no worse than fourth on the money list. Then came the unimaginable. Sorenstam got off to a slow start this year, which later was traced to back and neck injuries that kept her out of competition for two months. She has still not regained her form, failed to record a top-10 finish in the majors for the first time since her rookie season in 1994 and is at No.32 on the money list. Considering her 69 victories and the goodwill she has brought the LPGA through her performance, Sorenstam should be able to play wherever she wants. It would have been a no-brainer to give her the special exemption, except for one problem. It was given to Wie back in March, before the kid went into a tailspin that not even the New York Mets could appreciate. The perfect scenario for IMG, which runs the tournament and manages Sorenstam, would have been for Wie to give back the exemption based on the state of her game (her average score is 76.7) and so she wouldn’t miss a week of her semester at Stanford. When that didn’t happen – Wie’s agent said she was never asked – IMG and the LPGA Tour decided to “update” the Samsung criteria by adding a new exemption for active Hall of Famers and awarding that to Sorenstam. Only when she detected some backlash from taking a spot in the coveted field did Sorenstam decide it wasn’t worth the hassle. She declined her invitation, ending 12 straight appearances at Samsung. Tournament officials attributed her decision to “contradictory and confusing information,” which means players who thought they were in suddenly realized they were out. That’s what happens when you change the rules two weeks before a tournament. The last spot at Bighorn thus went to Sarah Lee, who has 69 fewer wins and 10 fewer majors than Sorenstam. In addition, it became clear this “active Hall of Famer” exemption really was an “Annika” exemption, for neither Juli Inkster nor Karrie Webb were offered the invitation, even though both are more qualified than Sorenstam at the moment. Intentional or not, Sorenstam sent Wie a powerful message about doing the right thing. If there is a message in all of this for Wie, there is an even stronger message for the LPGA Tour: Stop bending the rules.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Manchester City pulled out of the race to sign Pep Guardiola’s ex-player Alexis Sanchez Pep Guardiola has offered his congratulations to Manchester United as they close in on the signing of Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez.City ended their high-profile attempts to bring the Chile forward to the Etihad Stadium this week, clearing the way for United to move in.Premier League leaders City, who went close to landing Sanchez in a £60million deal last summer, felt the costs of a potential deal had risen too high.Speaking at a press conference, City manager Guardiola said: “I’m not the guy with the mathematics, with the numbers. What I know now is he is still Arsenal’s player, but I think he is going to go to United.“So, congratulations for both of them. The players and their managers (agents) decide where they want to play. Good luck.”It is understood City were confident that Sanchez wished to play for them but his desire to leave Arsenal this month rather than in the summer, and the sums offered by United, changed the picture.Asked further if he felt let down by the player, whom he worked with at Barcelona, Guardiola said: “I repeat the same. The players and their managers decide what’s best for both of them. There’s nothing to add.“My opinion of Alexis remains the same. It was a pleasure to be with him at Barcelona. He has decided to move on to another club and I wish him all the best.”Guardiola offered no update on whether plans to sign a new centre-half this month were progressing – City have again been linked with West Brom’s Jonny Evans – but stressed the character of any potential new player was important.He said: “Always I believe if players adapt quickly, it depends on their quality and if they are nice people. We are looking for nice people to come to help us if we believe we need them.”City suffered their first Premier League defeat of the season last weekend, their 4-3 loss at Liverpool seeing their lead at the top of the table cut to 12 points.Guardiola has seen a positive reaction from the players in training and now wants to see that translate into a strong performance as they host Newcastle on Saturday.He said: “In training there were no doubts. We reacted well after the (Crystal) Palace draw and we’ll react well in the future. I am pretty sure about that.”Guardiola conceded “in the next weeks we have a problem” at left-back following injury to Fabian Delph.City were already without first-choice Benjamin Mendy until April and now Delph will be sidelined “for a while” after suffering a knee injury at Anfield.Captain Vincent Kompany is also still likely to be out with a calf strain but is considered “much better”, according to Guardiola. 1
Canasta, 1-4 p.m. in Room A2. Country-western line dancing, 2-3 p.m. in the dining room. Cost: $3. Oil painting class, 6:30-9:30 p.m. in Room A3. TUESDAY T’ai chi ch’uan class, 8:30-9:30 a.m. and 3-4 p.m. in the dining room. Aqua Fitness classes, 8:30, 8:45 and 9:45 a.m. at Bouquet Canyon Senior Apartments in Saugus. Bridge, 9 a.m. in Room A1. Low impact aerobics, 8:45-9:30 a.m. at Bouquet Canyon Senior Apartments in Saugus. Mixed Media, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. in Room A2. Country-western line dancing, 9:30-10:30 a.m. in the dining room. Cost: $3. Water aerobics, 8:30-9:30 a.m. (fast paced) and 9:45-10:30 a.m. (slow paced) at Bouquet Canyon Senior Apartments. Emotional support, 10-11 a.m. in the Modular. Grief support, 11 a.m.-noon in the Modular. Senior citizen lunches, 11:30 a.m. in the dining room. Cost: $2. Creative-writing class, open to all ages, 1-2:30 p.m. in Room A3. Cost: $4 per class. Santa Clarita Senior Hams will meet, 1-2 p.m. in Room A2. Tap dancing, 2-3 p.m. in the dining room. Yoga, 4-5 p.m. in the dining room. Watercolor class, 6:30-9:30 p.m. in Room A3. Duplicate bridge, 6:45-10 p.m. in the dining room. Call Kathy at (661) 253-1105 or Rand at (661) 295-4644. WEDNESDAY Aerobics class, 8:30-9:30 a.m. in the dining room. Oil painting class, 9 a.m.-noon in Room A1. Archaeology & Anthropology, 9:30-11:15 a.m. in Room A3. Chair exercise class, 9:45-10:15 a.m. in the dining room. Arthritis exercise group, 10:20-10:50 a.m. in the dining room. Blood pressure checks, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. in Room A3. Senior citizen lunches, 11:30 a.m. in the dining room. Cost: $2. Calligraphy class, 1-2:30 p.m. in Room A3. Line Dance, 6:30-8 p.m. THURSDAY T’ai chi ch’uan class, 8:30-9:30 a.m. and 3-4 p.m. in the dining room. Aqua Fitness classes, 8:30, 8:45 and 9:45 a.m. at Bouquet Canyon Senior Apartments in Saugus. Low impact aerobics, 8:45-9:30 a.m. at Bouquet Canyon Senior Apartments in Saugus. Mixed Media, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. in Room A2. Computer Training, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. in Room A1.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The following events will take place this week at the Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center, 22900 Market St., Newhall. For information, call (661) 259-9444. MONDAY Aerobics class, 8:30-9:30 a.m. in the dining room. Bridge, 9 a.m. in Room A1. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe Christmas Truce of 1914 proved that peace is possibleGroup Crafts, 9 a.m.-noon in Room A2. Computer Training, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. in Room A1. Chair exercise class, 9:45-10:15 a.m. in the dining room. Senior citizen lunches, 11:30 a.m. in the dining room. Cost: $2. Computer training for the visually impaired, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m. in Room A3.
tense Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS shining Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT Opperation was Successful, Thank God always and thank you all for your messages and support,the return begins now!!!❤️❤️🙏🏾 pic.twitter.com/14qw4rgRK2— Callum Hudson-Odoi (@Calteck10) April 24, 2019It was a cruel end to a promising breakthrough season for one of Chelsea and England’s best talents, with Hudson-Odoi immediately ruled out the remainder of the 2018/19 domestic campaign, as well as this summer’s Nations League finals, in which the Three Lions are partaking. Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Callum Hudson-Odoi faces a minimum three months out injured, Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri has confirmed.Hudson-Odoi, the England winger, suffered an Achilles injury during Monday’s 2-2 draw with Burnley, with the youngster forced off before half-time of the Premier League clash.He underwent successful surgery on Tuesday evening, the 18-year-old confirmed on social media. huge blow Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move REVEALED no dice 1 Hudson-Odoi has recently established himself as one of Sarri’s first-choice forwards, frequently selected on the right of attack with Eden Hazard taking up his usual position on the opposite flank.Hazard, the Belgium international, has enjoyed a brilliant season, and his record of being the only player to reach double figures for both goals and assists this season saw him nominated for the PFA Player of the Year award.However, he was a shock exclusion from the Team of the Year, with Raheem Sterling and Sergio Aguero, the Manchester City pair, joined by Liverpool’s Sadio Mane as the attackers in the XI.“I think Eden deserved to be in the top XI of the Premier League,” Sarri added. “I think also at the moment the table is clear, City and Liverpool and then the other teams.“I think the vote was influenced by the table.” BEST OF REPLY REVEALED gameday cracker ADVICE Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? Sarri, the Chelsea manager, has now confirmed Hudson-Odoi will be out for a minimum three months, though a return to full fitness is likely to extend the youngster’s recovery by a sizeable period.“For sure three months,” Sarri said in a press conference, “then we have to see the condition.“You will be able to play, but we need a player at the top. So it depends, but the technical period is three months, no less.” Hudson-Odoi’s season was cruelly cut short earlier this week Berahino hits back at b******t Johnson criticism – ‘I was in a dark place at Stoke’ Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars
Back in May, a 45-year-old guy from Elkhorn, Nebraska named Douglas Goldsberry was arrested for repeatedly hiring PROSTITUTES to go to his neighbors’ house and strip on their porch. He sent the hookers at least 75 times over the course of four years. One of the strangest criminals we heard about all year is now going to prison. The neighbors said they’d never had any issues with him, so they weren’t sure WHY he sent the prostitutes. But we DO know that sometimes when they were done stripping, Douglas would get-it-on with them. But that’s not the only prison time this idiot is facing. Apparently the cops also found some child pornography at this guy’s house, so he could be facing up to 20 years in federal prison. He wound up pleading no contest to pandering in September. And on Friday, he was sentenced to four years in prison.
AdvertisementThe debate between Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo on who is the better footballer has been waging since both stepped their foot in La Liga. Although Cristiano Ronaldo has now left for Juventus in the Serie A, the battle hasn’t stopped.Italian national team striker and former Manchester City FC player Mario Balotelli picked his side on the Messi vs Ronaldo debate and urged the fans not to compare the Barca magician with Juventus’ #7. The Marseille striker wrote on Instagram: ‘For the love of football please do not compare him to the No 7 of Juventus anymore!’Balotelli: ‘Please, for the sake of football, don’t ever compare Messi to the #7 of Juventus.’ 👀 [ig: mb459] pic.twitter.com/f7njHyXPVj— amadí (@amadoit__) May 1, 2019Both Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are prolific in their own sense, having different sets of qualities which sets them apart. Last night, Messi scored a brilliant free-kick goal which sealed Barcelona’s first leg victory over Liverpool in the UEFA Champions League semi-finals.By doing so, he also equaled Ronaldo’s tally of scoring 600 goals in club football. Moreover, he did so by playing 482 matches as compared to Ronaldo’s 583.Barcelona will face Liverpool in the second leg of the UEFA Champions League semi-final on Wednesday. Juventus, on the other hand, are already knocked out of the UEFA Champions League, having lost to Ajax on the quarter-finals.Advertisement
Virat Kohli has done it again! India’s run machine hammered his 26th hundred to help India chase down a challenging total of 286 against New Zealand in the third ODI at Mohali. His unbeaten 154 at the PCA stadium on Sunday also saw him equal batting icon Sachin Tendulkar’s world record of 14 tons in successful run chases for India. (Scorecard)Tendulkar achieved the feat in 124 innings whereas Kohli has done it in just his 59th ODI innings. Kohli also went past 3000 runs in ODIs in India in the process. His innings was laced with 16 fours and one six. (Mohali ODI: Kohli 154*, Dhoni 80 help India gun down 286 vs New Zealand) Player 100s Innings Inns/100 Virat Kohli 14 59 4.21 Sachin Tendulkar 14 124 8.86 Saeed Anwar 9 59 6.56 Tillakaratne Dilshan 9 60 6.67 Sanath Jayasuriya 9 103 11.44Kohli shared a 151-run stand with Mahendra Singh Dhoni for the third wicket which laid the foundation for India’s chase. He then added another 97 runs with Manish Pandey which sealed the deal for the Men in Blue. The hosts have now taken a 2-1 lead in the five-match series against the Black Caps.Dhoni also roared back to form in the format that he is a master at. He missed out on a hundred but scored 80 runs in 91 balls and was back to his brutal best smashing six boundaries and three mammoth sixes in the process.While Kohli equalled Tendulkar’s record, his captain went a step further and surpassed a long-standing record held by the Master Blaster.Dhoni now holds the record for most sixes in ODIs by an Indian batsman. Tendulkar had hit 195 sixes in 452 innings while Dhoni now has 196 sixes in 244 innings. Former captain Sourav Ganguly is third on the list with 190 sixes in 300 innings.advertisement 6s Batsman Inns Balls Faced Balls/Six 196 MS Dhoni 244 10140 52.27 195 Sachin Tendulkar 452 21367 109.57 190 Sourav Ganguly 300 15416 81.14 148 Yuvraj Singh 268 9547 64.51 136 Virender Sehwag 245 7929 58.30 120 Suresh Raina 192 5938 49.48 Captain 6s Innings Inns/6 MS Dhoni (India) 124 169 1.36 Ricky Ponting (Australia) 123 220 1.79 Sourav Ganguly (India) 115 143 1.24 AB de Villiers (South Africa) 111 82 0.74 Brendon McCullum (New Zealand) 82 59 0.72Dhoni also became the fifth Indian to complete 9000 ODI runs during his knock. Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid and Mohammed Azharuddin reached the milestone before Dhoni.#TeamIndia Captain @msdhoni becomes the 5th Indian to cross 9,000-run mark in ODIs @Paytm ODI Trophy #INDvNZ pic.twitter.com/qQnFT6Vqpr BCCI (@BCCI) October 23, 2016Most ODI runs as a keeper13341 Kumar Sangakkara9410 Adam Gilchrist9000* MS Dhoni#IndvNZ Mohandas Menon (@mohanstatsman) October 23, 2016At IS Bindra Stadium,Mohali in ODIs7 – 100s, only one by an Indian (MS Dhoni)9 – 4wkt hauls, only one by an Indian (Irfan Pathan)#IndvNZ Mohandas Menon (@mohanstatsman) October 23, 2016