Tottenham Hotspur have laid solid foundations over the last three years but must now start winning trophies, manager Mauricio Pochettino has said.Pochettino took over in 2014 and has led the London side to a top-three finish in two of the last three seasons but has yet to win a trophy. They finished the 2016/17 Premier League campaign seven points behind champions Chelsea.“After three seasons where we work a lot and set the bases it will be important in the next few seasons to try to win trophies,” Pochettino told Sky Sports after Sunday’s 7-1 win over Hull City.Striker Harry Kane scored a hat trick against Hull to take his tally to 29 goals from 30 league games and win the Premier League’s Golden Boot for the second consecutive season.“For him to play 30 games and score 29 goals is unbelievable,” Pochettino said.“He is the top scorer again and it’s fantastic for him, a big achievement. It helps the team to play well and finish second. Next season is a big challenge again.”Tottenham last won a major trophy in the 2007-08 campaign when they won the League Cup.
Ginebra teammates show love for Slaughter Smart’s Siklab Saya: A multi-city approach to esports Chinese-manned vessel unsettles Bohol town UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin gestures prior to the UEFA Executive Committee at the UEFA Headquarters, in Nyon, Switzerland, Friday, Dec. 9, 2016. (Photo by SALVATORE DI NOLFI/Keystone via AP)NYON, Switzerland — UEFA is not happy about the way FIFA is pushing through plans to expand the 2026 World Cup.Amid FIFA floating different scenarios in the media, UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin aimed a barb at soccer’s governing body on Friday.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ UEFA will store all anti-doping samples it takes from players for 10 years to be available for retesting.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Report: Russian doping involved over 1,000 athletes PH among economies most vulnerable to virus EDITORS’ PICK Senators to proceed with review of VFA “When FIFA presents us some serious thing and not just articles and interviews then we can, of course, answer concretely,” said Ceferin, who did not commit UEFA to supporting an increase from the 32-team format used since 1998.UEFA’s unease about the process suggests FIFA’s target of a decision on Jan. 10 might be missed. The next option would likely by early May in Manama, Bahrain.Progress could be made next week when the confederations’ general secretaries meet in Tokyo on the sidelines of the Club World Cup.In other UEFA business on Friday:Champions League changesFans will be able to watch two games back-to-back on Champions League nights from 2018.ADVERTISEMENT Smart hosts first 5G-powered esports exhibition match in PH UEFA agreed to new kickoff slots at 7 p.m and 9 p.m. Central European time. Currently, nearly all games start at 8:45 p.m. CET, except some games start earlier in Russia, Turkey, and other eastern European countries, especially in December and February.UEFA also completed changes to the entry list, how clubs are ranked and seeded, plus distribution of prize money for the 2018-21 seasons in the Champions League and Europa League.The headline changes were made in August when the four top-ranked leagues — currently Spain, Germany, England and Italy — were guaranteed four direct entries to the 32-team group stage.From 2018, only two teams will advance to the Champions League groups from the qualifying rounds involving non-champions.UEFA also detailed how clubs will be ranked to weigh how much prize money they will earn. It covers 10 years of results, plus points for European titles earned before 1992.This is seen to favor storied clubs which recently failed to qualify for the Champions League, including Manchester United, AC Milan and Inter Milan.National champions who lose early in Champions League qualifying rounds will get a second chance by transferring directly to Europa League qualifying rounds.An extra €50 million ($52.7 million) per season will also be diverted from Champions League prize money to the Europa League.2024 biddingUEFA set a September 2018 target to decide where the 2024 European Championship will be played.The first deadline in the process is March 3 for member federations to confirm their interest in bidding. “I read different ideas every day, so it is hard to say which one is the real one, if any,” Ceferin, a FIFA vice president, said at a news conference after a UEFA executive committee meeting.FIFA President Gianni Infantino was elected in February on a campaign promise to add eight nations for a 40-team World Cup. He then suggested 48 teams with an opening playoff round that would send 16 teams home after one game.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra teammates show love for SlaughterSPORTSWe are youngSPORTSFreddie Roach: Manny Pacquiao is my Muhammad AliThis week, FIFA suggested a preferred 48-team format of groups of three teams in a letter to FIFA Council members ahead of their Jan. 9-10 meeting in Zurich.Asked how many of the 48 entries Europe wanted, Ceferin said the lack of clarity in how FIFA proposed to allocate slots to its six confederations was one of the problems. Germany set its sights on hosting Euro 2024 alone when it made a deal with England, which will host the Euro 2020 final and semifinals.A Scandinavian project of up to four hosts has also been suggested.However, UEFA says while two co-hosts would get automatic entry to the tournament, it will give no guarantees to countries bidding as a group of three or four hosts.Club finals venuesUEFA picked the Stadium of Light in Lyon, France, as host of the Europa League final on May 16, 2018. The Champions League final that season was already allocated to the Olympic Stadium in Kiev, Ukraine.Ceferin also insisted on reviving a bidding process for European club competition finals.One factor in picking Kiev was to give Ukraine a showpiece match just before the World Cup kicks off in neighboring Russia.“There will not be any more political favors in decisions concerning who will host the final,” Ceferin said.Other decisionsItaly was picked to host the Under-21 European Championship in 2019UEFA increased total prize money for the women’s European Championship from 2.2 million euros ($2.3 million) in 2013 to 8 million euros ($8.4 million) next year.Long-time director of competitions Giorgio Marchetti of Italy was promoted to deputy general secretary. Taiwan minister boards cruise ship turned away by Japan PLAY LIST 01:31Taiwan minister boards cruise ship turned away by Japan01:33WHO: ‘Global stocks of masks and respirators are now insufficient’01:01WHO: now 31,211 virus cases in China 102:02Vitamin C prevents but doesn’t cure diseases like coronavirus—medic03:07’HINDI PANG-SPORTS LANG!’03:03SILIP SA INTEL FUND We are young Where did they go? Millions left Wuhan before quarantine As fate of VFA hangs, PH and US forces take to the skies for exercise Shanghai officials reveal novel coronavirus transmission modes Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:04Daybreak as smoke, ash billows from Taal volcano01:05Poor visibility, nakaapekto sa maraming lugar sa Batangas03:028,000 pulis sa Region 4-A, tuloy ang trabaho03:57Phivolcs, nahihirapan sa komunikasyon sa Taal01:04Sold-out: Stores run out of face masks after Taal spews ash01:45Iran police shoot at those protesting plane shootdown LATEST STORIES The Gin Kings drew only two double-digit scorers from its cast. Import Justin Brownlee fired 18 points on 8-of-19 shooting from the field while LA Tenorio chipped in 12 in the loss that snapped a four-game run.“Offensively and defensively, we really played well,” said Black, who, in the same breath warned about complacency amid his team’s streak.“The goal is to not think that this is the best basketball [we could play],” said the Grand Slam mentor, whose squad faces teams in the bottom half of the standings in Columbian, NorthPort and Rain or Shine.Barangay Ginebra (5-3), meanwhile, clashes with league-leading TNT (7-1) before facing Columbian and NorthPort.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next 400 evacuees from Taal eruption take refuge in Mt. Banahaw No need to wear face masks in Metro Manila, says scientist “It’s long overdue, I guess,” said Meralco head coach Norman Black, who credited the victory to his team’s balanced attack led by Allen Durham.“He was hitting his triples, scoring inside. He was just setting the tone for this team,” he said of his old reliable, who was also the Bolts’ pacesetter in last week’s rout of Triple Crown-seeking San Miguel Beer.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSAndray Blatche has high praise for teammate Kai SottoSPORTSBig differenceSPORTSAlmazan status stays uncertain ahead of Game 4Durham ended up with 39 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists, while Raymond Almazan, Bong Quinto and Chris Newsome also finished in twin digits as the Bolts tightened their grip of the third spot at 6-2.Quinto had 13 points and five rebounds, Newsome shot 11 while grabbing nine boards while Almazan also flirted with a double-double with 10 points and nine rebounds. View comments Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines—Good things indeed come in threes.Meralco steamrolled its long-time tormentor Barangay Ginebra, 101-77, for its third-straight victory in the 2019 PBA Governors’ Cup Sunday night at Smart Araneta Coliseum in Cubao.ADVERTISEMENT 2 village execs nabbed in Bohol buy-bust MOST READ DSWD Bicol donates P1.5M worth of food packs for Taal eruption evacuees Lava gushes out of Taal Volcano as villagers flee ‘People evacuated on their own’ ‘Gago’ Phivolcs: Cloud seeding in ashfall affected areas needs study Trading Magnolia-bound Banchero not easy for Alaska coach Cariaso Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.
– Advertisement –
The Los Angeles chapter of the National Speakers Association will recognize Michael Turner, president of Bearsworth Communications Inc. in Chatsworth, at its national convention in San Diego this week. Turner earned the distinction for volunteering for three projects during the past year, including designing brochures and re-vamping the chapter’s Web site: www.nsaglac.org. – Compiled by Ben Jauron Opening a new business, got a hot tip or a big promotion? If so, we want to hear about it. E-mail your news to firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include your name and phone number. Burbank’s Walt Disney Co. recently announced the formation of an integrated Global Television Distribution unit, which Ben Pyne of New York City will lead as president. He will be responsible for the international distribution and sales of Disney’s entertainment and news content, domestic distribution of the company’s television content and ABC-TV’s affiliate relations department. Pyne formerly served as president of sales and marketing for Disney and its ESPN affiliate. His former duties will be assumed by David Preschlack of Southport, Conn., who will oversee affiliate distribution, relations and marketing and local ad sales for Disney’s U.S. cable and satellite networks. Troop Real Estate, one of Ventura County’s largest real estate brokerage firms, recently hired Darrell Bradbrook as assistant manager of the Westlake Village office. Bradbrook has 23 years in the mortgage, brokerage, consulting and real-estate law arenas, working at Calwest Executive Finance and Wikle & Henry in Woodland Hills, among other firms. The Optimist Youth Homes & Family Services recently named Cindy Osbrink, chief executive officer of The Osbrink Agency in Universal City, to its advisory board. Optimist Youth Homes & Family Services is one of Southern California’s largest treatment and education centers for at-risk and delinquent children. The Osbrink Agency is a talent agency specializing in child and young-adult actors. Its clients include Dakota Fanning, Tyler James Williams and Ryan Pinkston. Oltmans Construction Co. of Thousand Oaks recently completed construction of a corporate headquarters for Warehouse Discount Center overlooking Highway23 on White Sage Road in Moorpark. Located on 8.2acres, the headquarters employs 50 people and replaces and consolidates the company’s former offices in Agoura Hills, Camarillo and Simi Valley. Poliquin Kellog Design Group of Woodland Hills designed the 115,000-square-foot building, which features tilt-up construction, terra cotta roof elements and Mission-style colors. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Danny Ward: The 23-year-old featured for Wales at Euro 2016 1 Danny Ward has signed a long-term contract with Liverpool and will spend next season on loan at Championship outfit Huddersfield Town.The 23-year-old goalkeeper has agreed fresh terms at Anfield having made his first-team debut last season under Jurgen Klopp following a successful loan stint with Aberdeen.Ward was the back-up to Simon Mignolet upon his return from Aberdeen but the Belgian’s competition for next term is expected to come from Loris Karius, who Klopp lured from former club Mainz at the end of last season.Having represented Wales in their opening Euro 2016 win over Slovakia when Wayne Hennessey was injured, Ward will now head to West Yorkshire to play under Klopp’s old colleague and close friend David Wagner.“I’ve spoken before about using the loan market to bring special talent to the club and Danny is another great example of this,” Huddersfield boss Wagner said on his club’s official website.“Danny is a goalkeeper that Liverpool rate very highly, which is why he has signed a new long-term contract at the club. He did very well out on loan last season and I believe we can help him take the next step in his career this season, so he will return to Liverpool a better goalkeeper.“He is good with the ball at his feet, which is important in our style, but most importantly he is excellent at keeping the ball out of his net.“Danny has had a very busy season that was extended by the part he played for Wales in Euro 2016, so he will be given some time off before he joins the squad when we depart for Austria towards the end of the month.”
Sevilla have beaten Everton and Hull to the loan signing of Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper Salvatore Sirigu.The Italian wants to leave France this summer in search of first-team football after losing his spot to Kevin Trapp.Everton and Hull had expressed an interest in the 29-year-old – as had Serie A side Napoli.But, according to L’Equipe, Sevilla have won the race for Sirigu and he will join them on loan.The former Palermo man is expected to be the Spanish club’s number one choice following an injury to David Soria, which should rule him out for six weeks.Sirigu’s decision to join Sevilla could mean Everton rekindle their interest in Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart. Salvatore Sirigu has joined Europa League winners Sevilla on loan 1
THE BIG THAW is under way – and now there are warnings over slippery roads and footpaths – and possible flooding.Temperatures across the county rose throughout the day – but the widespread blizzards predicted by Met Eireann didn’t materialise.Road conditions over the next 24 hours could be amongst the worst brought by the Big Chill – footpaths in many towns are treacherous as the slush and ice replaces compact snow. Gardai are appealing for motorists to exercise extreme caution across the county today and to only if absolutely necessary.Most main roads however are in the best state in more than eight days.9PM UPDATE: THAW UNDER WAY, BUT WARNINGS ABOUT ROADS was last modified: December 26th, 2010 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESurfer attacked by shark near Channel Islands calls rescue a ‘Christmas miracle’ RICHMOND, Va. – A storm that dropped as much as 9 inches of rain forced the evacuation Saturday of about 100 people in a six-block section of the capital, caused scattered flooding in the southeastern part of the state and likely contributed to the death of two fishermen. Ferry service across the James River was temporarily suspended because of high waters; one ferry returned to service Saturday afternoon. In southeast Virginia’s Isle of Wight, officials evacuated about three dozen people and reported widespread flooding after at least 8 inches of rain since Friday. The bodies of cousins David F. Dryden, 70, and John W. Dryden, 59, were found Saturday in the Poquoson River where it empties into Chesapeake Bay, the Coast Guard said. Their boat was found capsized Friday night in seas of up to 5 feet and 50 mph wind gusts, Petty Officer Kip Wadlow said. The National Weather Service said rainfall since Friday ranged from 4 to 9 inches. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Mauricio Pochettino admitted Tottenham Hotspur will be in serious trouble if Harry Kane picked up an ankle injury against Manchester United.The striker was caught accidentally during the closing stages at Wembley, as Spurs searched desperately for an equaliser. Kane lies on the turf in agony after the Manchester United game The England skipper eventually left the field Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won SORRY latest BEST OF RANKED Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update revealed The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 Marcus Rashford scored what proved to be the winner in the first half as United held on to win 1-0, with David De Gea deserving much of the plaudits.While the result will certainly sting for Spurs, the thought of losing their talisman will terrify the Argentine, who watched helplessly from the sidelines as Kane winced and grimaced on the turf in a heap.Although the 26-year-old eventually hobbled off the pith without any assistance, Pochettino admitted there was already swelling on his ankle.“We will assess him,” Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino told Sky Sports. 2 REVEALED Most Read in Football gameday cracker Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT “It was a bad tackle in the last moment. It wasn’t their intention but it was a bad tackle.“He is a little bit swollen and we need to assess it in the next few days. I hope it is not a big issue.“It is worrying because we are going to lose [Heung-Min] Son to the Asian Cup, and if Harry Kane suffers some issue it is going to be a massive problem.” 2 Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade