Get your free guest access SIGN UP TODAY To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Subscribe now for unlimited access Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInDetectives are appealing for information following the theft of an ATM from outside a convenience store in Gretna, Dumfries and Galloway in the early hours of Thursday 20 September 2018.Police were called around 02.45am after three people wearing balaclavas used an industrial Manitou forklift to forcibly remove an ATM from the wall of the Cooperative Store in Annan Road, causing extensive damage to the building.It is understood that the forklift was stolen from a nearby farm prior to the incident.The three suspects made off from the scene in a stolen silver coloured Vauxhall Vectra motor car, which had been adapted to fit the ATM in the boot, heading along Surrone Road onto Loanwath Road.The ATM is believed to contain a five figure sum of cash.Detective Chief Inspector Colin Burnie from Dumfries CID said: “Enquiries are at an early stage to trace the individuals involved in this reckless incident and I am appealing for members of the public to come forward with any information that could assist our investigation.“Detectives are currently carrying out extensive enquiries including examining CCTV and speaking to local residents. I would ask anyone living in the area who saw or heard anything suspicious, and is yet to speak to police, to please get in touch.“I would appeal to anyone who saw a forklift or a silver Vectra car in the area in the early hours of this morning to please get in touch. I would also ask any motorists with dashcams, or residents with CCTV, to check in case they have captured any footage which could be of significance.“Anyone with information is asked to contact Dumfries CID via 101, quoting incident number 0246 of Thursday 20 September 2018. Alternatively you can call CRIMESTOPPERS on 0800 555 111 where details can be given in confidence.”
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Tottenham set asking price for Serge Aurierby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham have set their asking price for Serge Aurier.Despite his recent form surge, the fullback remains available at Spurs ahead of the January market.Sport Mediaset says AC Milan and PSG are both keen on the Ivorian.And Spurs are eager to sell, setting Aurier’s asking price at €15m.Aurier moved to Spurs almost two years ago from PSG.
MONTREAL – DBRS Ltd. has upgraded Bombardier Inc. slightly to a trend of stable from negative, one month after Moody’s downgraded the transportation company.The rating service on Monday maintained its B rating.However, DBRS notes that there is evidence of stabilization in the company’s (TSX:BBD.B) financial profile, “albeit at a very weak level,” and an outlook for modest improvement over the next 12 months.It says there has been material progress in improving margins, especially in the rail division, over the last two years and there is “greater visibility” about the viability of the C Series following the Airbus partnership.DBRS says strategic moves like the Airbus deal and development of the Global 7000 business jet demonstrated the more stable footing, while its cash position remains “adequate” in the near-term.The rating comes about a month after Moody’s Investors Service downgraded Bombardier’s corporate rating to B3 from B2 and changed its rating outlook to negative from stable.Moody’s said its downgrade reflected the belief that Bombardier’s debt will remain high through 2019 and it will face challenges in generate positive cash flow because of the potential delay of C Series deliveries.
TORONTO – General Motors Co. is bringing its Maven car-sharing business to Canada for the first time as part of the Detroit-based company’s broader strategy for navigating through a rapidly changing automotive world.Toronto will be the first city outside of the United States to offer GM’s Maven City app-driven service, which has grown rapidly to 17 American cities since it was launched two years ago in New York City.The app enables Maven members to reserve cars by the hour, day, week and month.“The whole premise is to make it a seamless experience, so it becomes habit-forming,” said Julia Steyn, the head of Maven and GM’s urban mobility initiative.Toronto will be home to a new “mobility campus” this year as part of GM Canada’s automotive innovation agenda.In the United States, Maven has mostly attracted the millennial generation, with 78 per cent of its customers under the age of 30.Steyn said the arrival of Maven in Toronto is part of a broader strategy for General Motors, which has been in a race to bring out more electric vehicles, eliminate crashes with automation and address urban traffic congestion.“Maven’s mission is to be the zero congestion partner,” she said.Steyn also acknowledged that it’s very difficult to own vehicles in an urban environment.“It doesn’t make a lot of sense to buy an asset that sits idle for most of its life,” she said.Maven’s Toronto fleet will initially have about 40 vehicles, including the Chevrolet Cruze, Malibu and Volt, the Cadillac ATS and XT5, and the GMC Acadia and Yukon.The service will start with about a dozen Toronto locations — mostly in the downtown core and midtown neighbourhoods with a combination of residential, office, entertainment or shopping activities.That’s far fewer locations than the city’s two largest car-sharing services, Enterprise CarShare and Zipcar, which have fleets from various manufacturers, primarily GM’s competitors.
SAN FRANCISCO — Agribusiness giant Monsanto is appealing a $78 million verdict in favour of a dying California man who said the company’s widely used Roundup weed killer was a major factor in his cancer.The company filed a notice of appeal Tuesday in San Francisco Superior Court challenging the August jury verdict in favour of DeWayne Johnson.Bayer, which acquired Monsanto in June, said in a statement that none of the science presented at trial supports the conclusion that Roundup was a substantial cause of Johnson’s non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.An email to a spokeswoman for Johnson’s attorneys was not immediately returned.Bayer says numerous studies have shown glyphosate, the active ingredient in the weed killer, is safe when used properly.The Associated Press
Mumbai: Megastar Amitabh Bachchan, who is currently busy with an erratic work schedule, says creative diversions should never rest. The cine icon on Thursday took to Twitter to share an update about his work schedule. “Back from work. Three different shoots. Two different photo-shoots and one prosthetic make-up test. All in a day. Creative diversion, never rests — and should never.” The 76-year-old actor, who has sported prosthetics for films like “Paa” and “102 Not Out”, described it as a “long and laborious” process on his blog. Also Read – ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ has James Cameron’s fingerprints all over it: Arnold Schwarzenegger “They are for the next film with Shoojit Sircar,” said the actor, without divulging further details. Amitabh will also be seen with actor Emraan Hashmi in a psychological thriller, which will be directed by Rumi Jaffrey. “From tomorrow the one with Rumi Jafry — a commitment made years and years ago. A gesture to give credence to a word given and made and as soon as that ends in July.” He will also be seen in the fantasy adventure movie “Brahmastra”. It also stars Ranbir Kapoor and Alia Bhatt
OSU redshirt sophomore J.T. Barrett (16) runs down the sideline during a game against Maryland at Ohio Stadium on Oct. 10. OSU won, 49-28. Credit: Samantha Hollingshead / Photo EditorRed-zone inefficiency has been a problem for Ohio State’s offense throughout the season.It appears that now the solution may have been discovered during its 49-28 victory over Maryland.And it looks a lot like J.T. Barrett.OSU coach Urban Meyer hinted during the week that the team has thought about using the redshirt sophomore quarterback inside the red zone, but at the time, he said they had yet to make a decision about it.By Saturday, Meyer apparently had made a decision.The Buckeyes went three-and-out on their first possession, but when they got the ball back, trailing Maryland 7-0, the offense started clicking.Redshirt junior quarterback Cardale Jones methodically marched the unit 44 yards in seven plays to get down to the Terrapin 25-yard line. Jones had just finished scrambling for eight yards when he jogged off the sideline, passing Barrett on his way.Barrett stepped in behind center and finished the job. It took Barrett six plays — including a 20-yard completion to redshirt junior wide receiver Michael Thomas — to find the end zone on a three-yard touchdown run.It was the team’s first touchdown in the red zone since the third quarter against Western Michigan in Week 4.“(Barrett) provided an obvious spark for us in there,” Meyer said after the game. “He’s a leader and a guy that needs to be on the field.”Despite Jones playing his best game of the year, according to Meyer, and throwing for a new career-high of 291 passing yards, Barrett entered the game when the team crossed inside the 20-yard line all but one time.The one time he did not was because Jones had just completed a 33-yard pass to redshirt senior H-back Braxton Miller, which brought the team to the 19-yard line. The Buckeyes kept with the tempo, hurrying to the line before Jones connected again with Miller for 19-yard score.Barrett guided the Buckeyes to touchdowns on all five of his trips in the red zone. Thrice he scored on rushing touchdowns, while junior running back Ezekiel Elliott had the other two.Using the two quarterbacks in specific situations was not a game-day, spur of the moment decision.“It was all within the coaches’ plan to win,” Jones said. “He felt like J.T. brings an extra element to the game down in the red zone, and certain things we wanna do in the run game. (Meyer) proves to be right once again.”The plan to begin using Barrett, who started 12 games for OSU and amassed 3,772 total yards — 938 of which were on the ground — and a Big Ten record 45 touchdowns in 2014, in the red zone came to Meyer during a walk on Monday, according to Jones.Jones said Meyer decided to then ask Barrett and Jones what they thought of the idea.“I agreed with him,” Jones said. “J.T. brings the element to the game in the run game and certain positions on the field … It was all for the benefit of the team.”And benefit the team it did.The theory that rotating signal-callers could be detrimental to the continuity of the offense did not seem to hold any merit Saturday.The offense looked much more polished against the Terrapins, as it had no turnovers and racked up 499 yards of total offense.“I think this system works perfectly for our offense,” Elliott, who extended his streak of 100-plus-yard performances to 11 after gaining 106 yards, said. “I don’t think it took anyone out of rhythm, everyone was in rhythm, everyone was playing well.”Moving forward, Jones said he thinks the situational usage of Barrett can work because Meyer does an “unbelievable job of managing it.”But whether or not the Buckeyes have found their fix to their red zone ails and quarterback situation is not so clear to Meyer.“Sure,” he said about if the issues were repaired. “Until next week.”That matchup next week is set to be against Penn State at Ohio Stadium on Oct. 17. Kickoff is scheduled for 8 p.m.
Senior center Amir Williams (23) averaged just 6.4 points in his final campaign at OSU.Credit: Samantha Hollingshead / Lantern photographerWhat comes to mind when I say the name Amir Williams?For me, it’s one word: disappointment.Not in the person, because the senior was always an entertaining interview and more often than not earned high praise from coach Thad Matta. But in the player.A player who was rated higher than the likes of Ben McLemore and Trey Burke and was the fifth-rated center in the 2011 recruiting class averaged just 4.8 points per game in his career and became one of the most criticized players at Ohio State in any sport.Whether it was a missed dunk, putting the ball on the floor despite being wide open under the basket, or celebrating a dunk when it doesn’t matter, the Michigan native will no longer put on the scarlet and gray, and that seems to make OSU fans happy.The only other names that come to mind when it comes to pure fan disdain toward a player at OSU were quarterbacks for the football team: Steve Bellisari and Joe Bauserman.While Bauserman did not come to Columbus as a highly touted recruit, both Bellisari — recruited by Notre Dame, Florida State and West Virginia — and Williams largely disappointed.To Williams’ credit, he stayed out of trouble off the court to our knowledge, while Bellisari’s drinking escapade just hours before his senior day added embarrassment to his lack of production on the field.For Williams, it will always be a case of what could have been, not only for him, but for the team as a whole.The Buckeyes fell to the No. 2 seed Arizona Wildcats on Saturday in the NCAA Tournament, in large part because of a lack of rebounding. The Wildcats pulled down 17 more rebounds than the Buckeyes, and OSU’s leading rebounders pulled down just four boards each.If OSU would have pulled the upset over Arizona, it would have played in-state rival Xavier and who knows what could have happened in that game.The 6-foot-11 Williams pulled down four rebounds in 24 minutes of play against the Wildcats, while 6-foot-5 guard D’Angelo Russell managed seven.Williams, who started 29 of OSU’s 35 games, did not pull down double-digit rebounds in a single game in his final campaign in Columbus.His senior center counterpart, Trey McDonald, who stands three inches shorter and did not start a single game in his OSU career, tallied 14 rebounds in a single game against Sacred Heart on Nov. 23 in 21 minutes of play.So why didn’t Williams pan out at OSU? We might never know.The curious case of Benjamin Button has nothing on Williams, whose best season came in 2013-14 when he averaged a whopping 7.8 points per game.It is hard to believe that 7.8 points per game was the ceiling for Williams in four years at OSU, but we will never know why that ended up being the high point of his career.For OSU fans, there is hope, however, as the football team was able to replace its former fan least-favorites with Craig Krenzel and Braxton Miller, respectively .So, to whomever replaces Williams, no pressure.
Valencia forward Denis Cheryshev is the subject of a Spanish probe for allegedly receiving growth hormone injectionsForward Denis Cheryshev was the hero of the Russia national team during the 2018 FIFA World Cup in their own country.The 27-year-old footballer has been loaned to Valencia this year, where he has two appearances and one goal.But his good run might be cut, after a Russian publication quoted the player’s father, Dmitri Cheryshev, said his son received growth hormone injections when he played in Villarreal in 2017.“An investigation has been opened to get more information regarding this case,” a spokesman for Spain’s anti-doping agency AEPSAD told France 24.Zidane hails ‘quality’ James Rodriguez after Real Madrid’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane reserved special praise for James Rodriguez after his starring role in Real Madrid’s 3-2 win over Levante.“The investigation is being carried out in cooperation with Russia’s anti-doping agency and in permanent contact with the World Anti-Doping Agency which is aware of the affair and will be informed of the conclusions.”But Cherysev says his conscience is clear.“On my side, everything has been honest and I think there will be no problem,” he told Russian Sport-Express.“I think we’d better leave this case in the hands of medics, who have done everything right.”